Sunday, March 26, 2006

Come hither

Read about Duncan Grant and his fellow paedophile last week. Six years rigorous imprisonment is too little for Grant and his preying kind.
The court’s ruling reminded me of a ride home on the last train some months ago. A little urchin got in and sat near the door of the first-class compartment. Engrossed in my book, I barely noticed him.
Just when I was about to get down, the little guy, no more than seven, fixed his eyes on me. His left eyebrow went up a bit and an inviting glint shone in his eyes. Like a stain, a lascivious smile spread across his innocent face. Then, he looked away and looked back at me.
I’ll never forget that look; the chilling incongruousness of it, the twisted chain of events that leads to it.
25 years in this big, bad city and very few incidents have disturbed me as much as this one.

3 comments:

iamme said...

it's a cruel world out there. keep the feeling this particular incident evokes for the thing we spoke about.

sac said...

oi!!

Krishnan said...

are you totally in to writing for money or is it that you are done with blogging? that be the case, you better notify bs motoring ppl, they still have an active link directed to your blog.

a fellow journalist and a friend of mine is also running a blog around. u might wanna check it out: http://newpappa.blogspot.com